I'm in a land where the native population has no idea what breakfast is. Unless it's a bland pastry with espresso, or a huge spread at a hotel similar to a full English breakfast, it just doesn't exist. I want something in between. I would really like my hub-unit to be here fixing me a bowl of Malt-O-Meal right about now. I left the Pensione at 7AM and walked three blocks to a McDonalds (I know, try to maintain your horror at my actions) because they have something I'm looking for in comfort food, warm sausages, hash browns and flaky biscuits. Hopefully.
Score! Best of all, the breakfast sausage sandwich as made of chicken so it's not as greasy or heavy and it had a fresh basil condiment on it similar to pesto but not full of oil. Damn, McDonalds Italia, way to convert someone who is usually disgusted by your food! Is that a ringing endorsement or what? You can use that, Italian ad agency dudes, free of charge.
I went back to the Pensione, collected my belongings and checked out. I made my way back to the Excelsior hotel by way of a cab. I knew it was going to be too early to check in so I figured I would just store my luggage there and walk up to Villa Borghese to read up on some facts and make notes for later. To my surprise, they had my room ready for me then. I asked the concierge if was going to be possible to have my room near Mamma & Marco's when they arrive tomorrow. At least on the same floor? It's worth a shot to ask, the worst they can do is tell me no. The concierge smiled and said it had already been requested. Aw, that Marco, he thinks of everything. It's like he's in the hospitality business or something...
So the differences I'm facing as the actual leader of this tour are many, but nothing so great to make me feel it's a daunting task. It's all about checking off the list and the details involved. Dot the "i" and cross the "t" on everything involved, so to speak. I'm a listmaker so I am definitely game.
The hotel has my name and phone number as the contact for any guests checking in today before the tour starts. Some don't come in on the day of the tour, but maybe come over a couple of days ahead of time, like that couple I met in Venice on the bus. I have a folder (let's call it a dossier, because I am so European now) listing all the clients on the tour, their contact information for back home in case of emergencies, flight information, any divulged medical issues and allergies where applicable, and copies of passports if they were able to send the home office a copy before leaving the U.S.
We have 22 on this tour, all couples or family members or friends that will be 2 to a room. No singletons. Like Noah's Ark, marching 2 by 2 wherever we go. I am collecting 16 at the airport, 6 are already here, and 4 of them already checked into the Excelsior. I will call the coach company to verify our meeting time at Termini train station and meet Frank there, en route to FCO airport to meet everyone there at 3PM.
It's all about telephone calls pretty much after that. I call the hotel when we are on the way back from the airport with everyone and their luggage, to ready the check-in process. I stand by during the check in process to make sure there everyone has their room and that their bags are portered up to the appropriate rooms.
I contact the restaurant manager to verify we have our space set up with refreshments for our "welcome mixer" at 7PM on the back terrace and our banquet room with the pre-fixe menu for 8PM in the hotel's restaurant.
I contact the various licensed guides we use at sites like the Colosseum, the private Vatican tour and at the Uffizi in Florence and maintain our appointed times and the number of people coming, We have standing reservations with the guides and the museums/venues. It's all handled by accounting procedures and I don't need to hand over any money. They haven't given me a credit card since I'm not a fully fledged employee, but one is available when you are, for emergencies and unexpected issues.
All the restaurants we eat out outside of the hotels for group meals are reserved as a standing appointment. I simply need to call when we are 30 minutes out to make sure they know to fill the water glasses and get ready for us to show up.
The train tickets from Florence to Venice are already purchased, a standing reservation for 28 seats, just in case, and to keep us altogether on the same train car. I have to call the day before we go to Venice to make sure the baggage transfer boat is set up - they porter it off the train and boat it to the hotel. Saves space on the private taxis we use to make our rockstar entrance. Another call I make, I also verify they know how many boats they are sending to the train station as well.
I also have phone calls to make at the end of the tour to ensure all departing guests have their boats set up to go to the airport, depending on when their flight leaves. I don't have to be around, to see them off (if they are actually leaving and not staying on, as a lot of folks option to do) I just have to make sure it's set up with the concierge desk and that the guests know what time they have to be ready.
Whew. Not rocket science or neurosurgery, but there are a lot of items on the lists to check off. And all the while as long as I maintain my fabulous and happy composure and am there to impart knowledge and jocularity, everything will go along just swimmingly.
We'll just have to see about that.
Met up with Frank and on the way to the airport I gave him the rundown of everything that had gone on up to that point (the last couple checked into the hotel, allowing me to mark off that item - clients checking in on their own are all accounted for.) There's no change in any plane arrival scheduling so far, so we're good.
We collected our folks and their baggage and made our way to the coach and into Rome. I'm pretty sure more than a few of these folks partook of the adult beverages on the flight, I can smell it, but nobody's blotto or anything. On the bus Frank and I gave welcome talks and gave them the overview of how our mornings would be. We would be having breakfast together daily before heading out (or not) but that informational talks would be a part of orienting them all, factoids and history about what we would be seeing, or what we saw the day before. Breakfast starts at 6AM, talks at 7AM and usually we would be out the door between 7:30 and 8:00. For periods where they are on their own, Frank and I have office hours to help them determine what activity or sight (if any) they may want to see. Restaurant recommendations, calling for taxis, etc. We're here to facilitate for them and make this the trip they want, how they want. (Within reason, I hope?)
Check in went smoothly and without hitches. Went on to my room to change my clothes into a dress for our welcome mixer and to be out in the lobby to direct people. There are also always the folks who have to stop and ask you every little thing about the itinerary. That's okay if you can't just go with the flow, but I'm here to ease you into your vacation. Say it with me... vacation. Leave the details and the worries to me... you're paying the big bucks for this. I'm not just here to take your photo at the Colosseum and open your water bottles. Well, I kind of am here just to do that too.
The welcome mixer and dinner were fun. I spent a little bit of time with each guest and got to put faces with names and learn a little about where they are from, what they do, how many kids and grandkids they have. Mental note taking... but people skills are my best skills.
After it was over Frank and I went to the bar to unwind with a nightcap. He toasted me on my first day. Success! I asked him if he'd ever seen anyone just completely blow it on their first day "in charge."
The answer is yes - and it sounded pretty spectacular. About 9 years ago he had this absolute egghead whose resume showed he knew just everything there was to know about everything that had ever happened. He was fine during the first tour, where he was assisting, just as I had done on this last tour, but put in charge, he got gun-shy about speaking and threw up on a client's shoes on the bus from the airport just explaining the itinerary. The next day he passed out during the breakfast talk. He got a little tipsy at lunch the third day and told a lady she had no idea what she was talking about and to stop being such a blowhard. Oops.
People skills... are good.
No comments:
Post a Comment