Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tuesday 28 Sept - Ciao Ciao Venezia

Woke up early and took advantage of being in Venice to walk to the Rialto market before the sun rose to watch the market vendors setting up. The fishmongers are very loud and hollering to each other as they artfully stack their wares for the customer who will arrive shortly.

At this hour it's mostly the restaurants that come to pick up previously arranged produce and fish orders. There are last minute additions as the lists are check off and to see if there are any new arrivals. Cooking with the seasons and what is readily available is something we don't necessarily pay attention to in the US, at least in California, where most produce is grown year round, somewhere. But sadly, for the most part, the flavor has been compromised for pretty looking veggies and fruit available at any time of year. I've said it before and I'll say it another 4,978 times - there is something different here in the soil and in the soul of growing it. I'm getting kind of metaphysical, I know. But you have no idea what it is like to bite into a tomato grown in the season it is supposed to grow in, without the chemicals, only the mineral-rich volcanic soil that hastens the flavors that are supposed to be there.

The cantaloupe melon has more flavor in one bite than the entire thing in the US. It's like cardboard at home compared to here. Orgasmic. Not kidding. You'll die when you taste it. Eyes rolled back in the head fabulousness. Seriously. Ok, I may need to go and change my pants...

I love thinking I have this city to myself when I'm out and about in the early morning or very late at night. I know I don't, but I love this city so much. I have a huge connection here, and it isn't just with the people who are my now my friends and my extended family. I must have lived here in another time because from my first trip here, I have preternaturally known this city, not just by way of the map. It's the only city I feel comfortable walking by myself at any time of day or night, unencumbered and not wary of who is around the corner. It's as if I own this place. Granted, I don't get complacent and careless, because you never know, but I am comfortable staggering home after a night of drinking and knowing the chances are extremely unlikely that I will be bothered. I don't feel that way walking in my own neighborhood at home, or in most parts of the Bay Area during the daylight hours, let alone 3AM.

Got back to the hotel to call home at my appointed time and then down to breakfast for my mini-lecture on the history of painting in Venice. We then left on our walk to the Rialto. On arriving, more than one vendor waved hello at me, having seen me only a short while before.

After the group walk broke up I walked over to the Frari church. Eight of the clients came with me - it's not an official outing, but we were all going to the same place, so I talked on the way about what we would see and what to pay attention to while we were there. I ducked out after only a short visit so I could get back to the hotel. Otherwise I would sit and stare at Titian's altarpiece all day long. I could, easily.

I caught Giorgio walking near the hotel and kissed hello. He was lamenting that he had to work that evening until 2AM and then get up early to drive to Viareggio for a Barman Association meeting. He couldn't switch around the schedule to leave early as he usually does since Luana was still on vacation. I told him I was going to be leaving the next morning as well. It's my weekend and I was going to Pisa and Lucca to meet my friends who are here on a cruise. Giorgio suggested going together in his car - he would drop me in Pisa if I could keep him awake on the drive. Or I could drive his car. I told him I didn't have my International Permit updated and we don't need to take the chance of being stopped with me behind the wheel. But this is a great idea - I would love to ride with him. I told him I wouldn't be able to leave until about 7:30 or 8:00, which fit his time schedule. I would be able to save some time from taking the train and having an hour wait to switch in Florence. Yay!

Got myself ready for my weekend by packing my suitcase up again. This life as a tour leader seems like it only revolves around this suitcase situation.

I did get over to the apartment to trade out some clothes and take a long and fabulous jacuzzi-jet bath. I love that bathtub.

In the evening during our farewell dinner I was moved to tears during the "personal testimonies" portion. So many people said very nice things about my morning talks. The couple that I took to the hospital said that even though it was the worst thing to happen to them on a vacation, my being there to help them has made it an experience they will not look back on with any bad memories. Even the three people who annoyed me with their histrionics at the beginning of the tour (the change jingler, gum cracker and nail clipper) all said things about the great time they had learning during the morning talks, and our walk & talks at the sites.

I was humbled and so happy to hear they had a good time, and that I helped them to do that.

We filed back into the taxi boats and went back to the hotel. I was stopped by over half the clients as we made our way and had envelopes pressed into my hands while having my hand shook or receiving a hug. I would open them later in my room to find I had received a total of 750Euros in tips.

Oh.My.Gorsch. All this and I get paid. And tipped on top of that.

Drinks on me!

No comments: