After a few moments of hugs and lady-squees we managed to quickly tell the story of our meeting five years ago. We had long periods of correspondence before and after the trip in '06, and I'm so happy she remembers me as fondly as I do her. The clients were impressed with the coincidence that I had engaged her as a private guide and now get to work with her. Ilaria is impressed that I started as a client of the tour company and now work for them. The clients didn't know this fact; I toured with the company in 2002 (on a trip with my in-laws) and was encouraged by my tour leader to pursue this as a career. It took a few years and a few left turns along the way, but here I am.
She led us through the Colosseo, the Foro Romano, over to the Circo Maximo, back up the backside of the Campodoglio and walked the short distance through the streets to the Pantheon. It was a fun and fascinating three hours with her, just as before.
Since she is the guide I have contracted for the tour with the LA production people, I took her aside at one stop to feel her out on the whole situation of filming permissions at the ancient sites. “Noooooo Kristina, they would have to have the permissions in place for the specific dates and times the city film board will allot them. Not everyone gets the permissions immediately.” She said she would check with a friend she has in the film office to see if permits have been put through for those days in question, but she doubts it. Big news for me. If they can't film what's the use of this trip for this show?
We said our goodbyes at the restaurant we had reservations at – Ilaria promising to call me after she speaks with her friendly contact – and made our way in to Alfredo alla Scrofa. Hearty and delicious food abounds in this place and no one left disappointed or wanting for more.
In the car on the way back to the hotel Giuseppe opened a can of worms. He offered to drop us off at the hotel or take people shopping in the luxury designer district, along the Via Condotti. They had a few hours before dinner. I glanced at him with widened eyes. I mouthed “Non io.” (Not me.) Giuseppe laughed and said he would take those people who didn't want to shop back to the hotel and take those that were back out with him. It's not in my contract to watch people shop. Ugh. I'd rather watch paint dry.
So the ladies all giggled like schoolgirls and said they wanted to go and the men said they didn't and Giuseppe said “But you have to be there to hold the purses and use your wallets. It's the man's job.” There was actually the sound of a small groan in there from one of them. I told Giuseppe I could take the steps of the Metro back from Piazza di Spagna to the hotel on my own, no need to drive me all the way to the hotel if I'm the only one going. Whew! I lucked out on this one. I owe Giuseppe one. Before departing the vehicle I reminded everyone that they have dinner reservations at 8:00 at Brunello, two blocks away from the hotel, so rest up and don't be late.
I had the evening off and to myself. Or so I thought.
Giuseppe rang me up at 8 and told me that he was taking me for dinner and drinks, along with his brother. I had a hard time saying no, even though I tried making many excuses, including the fact that we had to leave at 7am for the long ride to Pompeii. “So? I have to drive us there, and I will be going out tonight.”
And so I went. I met his younger brother, Gianluca, who works for Giuseppe as a driver as well. These two guys. Are crazy. The Amazing Giacobazzi Brothers should be a program on tv. They are a laugh a minute, are very affectionate and absolute hound dogs. Every woman in proximity was eye-raped more than once. But they are actually very respectful, they just ogle from afar, and when a woman does make the acquaintance of having her hand shook by them, she tends to melt a little from the intense charisma oozing from these two. HOWEVER, I would just like to state that they are pocket pals as far as I'm concerned, neither are over 5' 7” and are too short to ride this ride. Even if I wasn't married.

We had dinner at a birraria: meat and beers. Mmm, sausages. The many comments along the lines of “Oh how I love to see you with a giant sausage in your mouth” and “Mamma would be so proud of how you do that” to each other made me almost choke more than once. We went cafe-hopping after that, and even though it was cold out, we were comfortable. Most cafes have heat lamps outside, so I remained toasty. Gianluca told me more than once that he loves me and wants to marry me so he can move to San Francisco. “Then I drive car service, like Steve McQueen. Bullitt. Yessss.” I told him to stand in line, pal.
What a fun night, but I did not look forward at all to the early start and long day ahead for Friday, but if Giuseppe can do it, so can I.
No comments:
Post a Comment