I had scheduled an appointment at 10AM for the clients to visit an atelier to be fitted for costume rentals for the masked ball and dinner gala that night. I met them at the apartment and we went by vaporetto up to the salon of the costume shop “TragiComica” in San Polo. They were all fitted for gear and masks and I put it all on the credit card, as expected. The costumes were to be delivered in four hours to their apartment, so I assessed how much time I had for a short tour and lunch and told them they needed to be at their flat. Since they were not at a hotel, there was no front desk or concierge to handle it the delivery if they weren't there. They agreed that after lunch they would go and wait for the packages to be delivered.
From the website of the atelier, the following costumes were selected:
Uomo Arlecchino and Dama Arlecchina for one couple:


Uomo Valmont and Dama Valmont for another couple:


Uomo Johann and Dama Bassano for the third couple:


Masks for all and wigs for the ladies and the men (save for the male Arlecchino) were also selected. 1600 Euros later.... plus the 1800 Euros already spent for the tickets to the gala dinner and masquerade ball at the Danieli hotel. And then factor in the conversion rate to US dollars. Good Lawd.... I have other ways to spend my hard earned cash. But it has already been factored in to their tour package. They've paid for it before I showed up. Let's just say that in general, fun at Carnevale can be had for much less than these prices. I almost wish I had lugged the extra thirty pounds of my own costume so I could witness the spectacle but I am relieved that I didn't. While watching the ladies try on various costumes I could see that mine really did measure up quality wise, but all in all it just is not worth the hassle. I'll save it for Renaissance Faire when I can spend my time having a lot more fun with my friends.
We had lunch nearby at Alla Rivetta, a traditional Venetian trattoria. Everyone behaved and stayed within the expected alcohol consumption. Make no mistake, I am not a teetotaller by any stretch; I only want to be able to perform my duties as expected. Do what you want on your own time, people.
I walked them back to their flat and told them I would return at 7:30 to pick them up and escort them to the Masquerade Ball. I gave them the option of going by private taxi or on the vaporetto and they said they wanted to go by vap. They are very excited about showing off the costumes as much as possible. They are paying for them, why not? I asked if they wanted to go a little earlier, so they could promenade through Piazza San Marco beforehand as well. They were jazzed about that idea and we agreed I would come get them at 6:30 instead. We would walk them through the Piazza amongst the crowd in the Grand Foyer where they would likely have lots of photos taken by complete strangers and professional photographers and then into the Danieli hotel where they would dine, drink and dance the night away. The guys were slightly apprehensive about the historical dancing, but I assured them that they would be led by others in how to minuet. It isn't difficult at all. Basically, prance and put your arm up to let the lady spin, you;ll be just fine. You aren't the only people who will be doing this first time. No worries. Everyone was really psyched up for the evening ahead.
I met up with Jamie at the house. We made the plan that she would tag along while I escorted the clients in the Piazza and to the Danieli. Then we'd go grab dinner nearby and come back to watch the costumed guests arrive and visit my friend Tiziano while he plays in the piano bar at the hotel. I luuurve Tiziano and have had the opportunity to sing with him at various hotels and locations in the city. We have a set we worked out five or six years ago and he lets me sit beside him as we duet. I texted him to tell him I would be at the Danieli later after sending my clients to the Ball. He messaged back that he was mad at me that I haven't visited him already at the Danieli. Don't be mad Tizi, I've been bizzy! He was joking, no worries, and told me he couldn't wait to see me.
I met the clients at their apartment and Jamie had gone ahead to the vaporetto to wait for us. I let the clients know that I had a friend in tow, so don't think we have a stalker. They walked out in their rented finery and had to stop every few minutes for someone to take a photo of them. They were having a great time. The vaporetto was crowded but people made way for them. The public must be able to recognize that these costumes cost a pretty penny whether they are yours or someone else's so they keep a wide berth to as not cause damage in any way.
The Piazza San Marco was very crowded. There is a large stage set up which is different from years past; it is designed to look like the Fenice Opera House stage, with box seats on either side stacked upon another. It is gorgeous. People can purchase VIP passes to sit in the boxes for the day to have a ringside seat. It's pretty cool. There was music blaring, many people in costume and roaming performers in the crowd. Lots of children, lots of dancing.
My peeps were having lots of photos taken of them and clearly enjoying themselves. Jamie told me she was really surprised and happy to see what a family atmosphere there was, since it isn't really the case in New Orleans. I told her that later in the evening it would change a bit, while there weren't ladies lifting their shirts for beads, there are usually scads of inebriated folks who get a little sketchy as the night wears on.
The group made the way to the Danieli lobby. I bid them adieu for the night as they checked in for their event. It was just before 8 so Jamie and I left to go grab something to eat. We walked down the Riva degli Schiavoni two bridges to the east and found a small hostaria to settle into. We had a simple meal, just some pasta for me and a giant bowl of mussels for her. Made it back to the Danieli a little after 9 and into the lounge to hear Tiziano's dulcet tones. When he finished the song he was playing I went over the piano to say hello. He told me I had ten minutes to warm up before he expected me sitting beside him. Goofball.
Before we had a chance to order a glass of wine from anyone we were presented with one. I looked back at Tiziano and he made a face. Then he mouthed “Ten minutes – drink that!” I guess I would be singing for my drink after all. I let a few songs go by and then I did go sit with him to sing four songs: James Taylor's “You've Got A Friend”, Stevie Wonder's “You Are the Sunshine of My Life”, Elton John's “Your Song” and Ray Charles' “You Don't Know Me” which I suppose is now turning in my signature. He knows I love that song. I was done after that and went back to finish my drink. Jamie and I left soon after, danced our way through the Piazza, stopped in at “my consulate” to say hello to Aldo and then home!
No comments:
Post a Comment