Their flight was leaving at 7:30 and Charlene's was coming in at 9:30 so I hung around the terminal having coffee and a cornetto. I stepped outside for a minute and saw something I haven't seen yet in all my visits to Venice. Snow! It doesn't happen that often and usually doesn't have the chance to pile up and make snowmen or anything, it's usually too wet. But to see the flakes coming down in flurries was very pretty. I am not a snow person; I can usually deal with it for a few days when we go up to Tahoe on rare occasions. I hope this doesn't linger.
Charlene's plane landed early at 9:03 but she didn't come out of the security gates until an hour later. She said the luggage just wasn't coming through on the baggage carousel. I guess the baggage handlers were playing in the snowflakes.
The BOOT is here!
We took the ATVO coach back to Venice which dropped us at the bus terminal at Piazzale Roma. I got some photos while on the bus of the snow on the ground along the way. We took the vaporetto back to the house and froze on the deck of the boat while being pelted in the face with cold water- the flakes had turned to sleet. Charlene would be sleeping on the foldout in the study / den next to my room and Luke had already claimed the attic room upstairs. She dumped her suitcases and after catching up on the goings on in her world and the flights over we went grab a bite to eat at the Dona Onesta. We had a leisurely lunch, including amaretto after meal drinks courtesy of Safwat, before heading back to Piazzale Roma to meet Luke. I got a text from Luke when he had boarded the bus and we headed over on the vaporetto. Charlene took a nap on the way.
Snow in Venice
From the bus. Snow on the ground.
More snow on the ground. Enthralling, isn't it?
Met Luke's bus in the freezing cold. At least the flakes and sleety-rain had stopped, but now it was just cold. The three of us walked back to the house and Luke put his stuff upstairs. I showed them the neighborhood and we went off to the grocery store for food supplies.
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
We spent the late afternoon catching up and drinking wine from the vinaria across the street. Then Charlene discovered my bottle of amaretto and dipped into that. She fell asleep at the table before I had even started dinner, so Luke walked her over to the couch and covered her with a blanket while I prepared the meal. We ate and she snored. Love that girl.
Luke's plan was to remain awake until 10PM so we headed over to The Consulate for a nightcap. We visited with Giorgio and came back around 10:30 – Luke wins! Charlene had woken up and moved herself up to her room. I cleaned up and crashed. I am officially on my own time now, not beholden to schedules and I love it.
No comments:
Post a Comment