Friday, March 11, 2011

Tuesday 1 March – On the Mainland

In consulting with Nan about the clients' propensity for over drinking we had already decided earlier in the week that would cancel the prosecco tour that had originally been planned for today. In the winter there isn't much to see at any winery except for casks and dormant vines. The clients had already been informed of it, and we were taking this day as a make-up for the tour of Verona and Padova on the mainland, since I had pushed it in re-arranging days 1 and 2.

Verona is the most intact Roman city in the north of Italy. The Arena there is actually more complete than the Colosseum in Rome and is still used for concerts and the outdoor opera festival held every summer. We toured the outdoor piazzas of Erbe and Dante, the Palazzo de Comune, the Scalieri tombs, Juliet's house and the churches of San Zeno and San Fermo before heading over to Padova.

Lunch was the first stop and we ate at Osteria dei Fabbri, then on to the outdoor piazzas and the Palazzo della Ragione and the Oratio di San Gregorio. It was another round of churches as well: Basilica di Santa Giustina, the Scrovegni Chapel and of course the Basilica di San Antonio di Padova. I lit candles for Mamma and put up a prayer message for the nuns to pray for my sister-in-law's continuing recovery from cancer. I may not have all the religious faith a person should had, but it isn't beyond me to ask those who have full belief to help out my loved ones. I can only send my good thoughts and energies; these people live to pray for others. We'll take miracles any way we can get them, won't we?

Everyone was completely knackered by the time we boarded the train to return to Venice, myself included. Although we tired, had reservations at Paradiso, which is a reservation not to be missed. Giordano has the best seafood restaurant in a city filled with seafood. Giordano does not disappoint, ever. We rode the vap back to our stop at Ca'Rezzonico, floating on a food cloud and I bid them goodnight.

I am so happy this tour is almost done. One more full day. I can do this.

No comments: