Tuesday, April 3, 2012

27 February, Monday – Going Out Of My Head

My phone rang early. It was a Venice landline number, but not the Europa hotel, which is where most of my unknown calls come from, one way or the other. It was Ms N – she apologized for calling so early, but she was letting me know she had a change of filming schedule on Tuesday and she woulod be free for the day. Could she have the boys tour with me and she'd join us? Sure. She said she would insist on paying for my time. I told her she could buy me lunch. Okay. I would come to their hotel at 10AM on Tuesday.

I made my way to the Europa for my last morning with the Toyota horribles. Along the way N rang again, asking if it was alright that her costar come with us as well. Not a problem. She said “Perfect, I'll just let D know to meet us in the lobby. Thanks, bye.” And I about fell over. Her costar is one of my actor crushes. Fantastic actor. We've been admiring his work for a number of years in my household. How am I going to keep it together to appear not like a squealing thirteen year old fangirlie? Oh boy. Sqweeeeeeeeeeeee!

have to admit I was starstruck and he wasn't even there. I was smiling like a goon during my tour with the peeps of Rialto, Frari and San Rocco. I was going to have to work hard to keep it together tomorrow. I usually get quiet around celebrities, when I've met them, or if I've been drinking I can certainly carry on a conversation, but this guy, I can totally see myself turning into a shy teenager again like when Jeff Cyr worked across the way at the mall and I made cow-eyes at him all day from the register at Taco Bell over to him at the counter at Stone Soup, until I was led over by my friend Leah to meet him and all I could do was stare at my shoe. True story, many years later that same guy turned out to be the brother of a close friend of my folks and just bringing up his name again I got flushed and embarrassed at the idea of possibly talking to him. He wasn't even present, but the very idea, even decades later, eroded all of my normal self-confidence and reduced me to a squirming, embarrassed fourteen year old.

I felt exactly the same way right then. Oh help me get a grip before tomorrow.

Feeling a little giddy on my return to the hotel, I barely saw Marco motioning at me. He finally caught my attention and I scurried over, whereupon he reached under the counter to hand me a box. From the Houstons. Aww, they gave me a gift for showing them around. The same necklace in black and silver, but a different pair of earrings than the Mrs, mine were in silver. How sweet.

Most importantly, I was done with the Toyota people. I didn't stick around to see if I was getting tips. I really, REALLY did not care. I went to the bar and showed Giorgio my gift. Then I was off to Giudecca to see Mamma for the rest of the day. I had serious doubts I would get any sleep, I was so excited for Tuesday. I am such a dork.

No comments: