I was packed up and had the suitcase by the front door at 7AM, even though I wasn't leaving the house for 21 hours. Nervous energy. I made my way over to the Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal to meet everyone.
The upside is that I made it through the day without being a total fool, so I have that going for me. Before we even left the lobby I told D I am a huge fan and I felt like a schoolgirl, so please excuse me if I get tongue-tied. He was very kind. Not self-aware and very self-deprecating. They were both so normal. Whew. They both allowed me to pick their brains on the acting process. I'm not an actor, but more like a psychology fan, so I like to know how their brains work to get into a role. Especially since they are both Brits and play Americans a lot. How do you do that, etc.?
But it was a lovely time. We laughed. The kids stayed in line. He wore a cap and sunglasses and wasn't recognized. She had her hair in a messy ponytail and wore no makeup, just sunglasses. There were a few times I caught people looking as if their brains were trying to figure it out. Whether they did or not, they didn't approach. The kids wanted pizza at “that place we were before” so we went to Francesco's. I was treated like a princess, with much fussing over the table by Francesco and the staff. They are always so good to me.
I was a little distracted by a city worker crew in the campo. They were up on ladders and moving about. Up a ladder, do something, hand down or hand up wires and cables, down the ladder, move it five feet. One of the crew was definitely not Italian, but an African. I found it fascinating. I've never seen an African on a city working crew, except for a street sweeper in the Rialto market. I find it fascinating – their immigration stories. I excused myself and went out to talk to him.
After a few minutes of chatting and asking him how long he's been here, etc., he asked me if I would do him a favor and mail a postcard when I got home. For his kids. Sure. He wrote his address down and also his phone number. I told him I wasn't trying to get a date. He said he understands, but if I want to interview him on my next trip when I had more time. Okaaaaay. Still not certain if he believed me this want not a come-on.
I rejoined the group, they paid and we left. I dropped them at their hotel and I went on to Giudecca to go say goodbye to Mamma. Made dinner for her and watched some television. She hugged me hard when I left. Kisses, kisses, kisses on the cheeks. “Ti amo, tesoro.” I love you, my treasure. “Anche io, Mamma.” I do too, Mamma.
It was going to have to be an early night so I was out of there by ten because four AM gets here too early.
1 comment:
Thanks for going back through all this Kris. I know it must have been hard for you on a number of levels. I love reading your posts.
Post a Comment