Saturday, September 18, 2010

Friday 17 Sept - Hanging with the Honeymooners

Of course I woke up early. 4AM and wide awake. Bing! I hope that the excitement ebbs by the end of the next tour. I want to get more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep. I need to be on pointe for these people. Anyway...

I went down for breakfast hours to help out the departing clients with any transport questions and check out needs, as per requirements. We are there to also help out in case there are any billing disputes over and above the regular room fees not associated with the tour - pay per view, room service, restaurant and bar charges, dry cleaning, etc. There weren't any hiccups (save for one room that "swears" they didn't order that porn - Frank says there's one on every tour. Ha!)

I have 37 mosquito bites. I took inventory this morning. 15 of them are on my legs. I'm trying to figure this out, because I had tights on yesterday, so they didn't really have access, not to mention my legs were covered by the bedspread all night, no legs peeking out. This is crappy. I feel like a leper. At least the ones on my legs can (a) be covered by tights and (b) are not as welty as the ones on my forearms. Totally pissy about the one on my left eyebrow and right cheek though. Ghaahh!!! Leave me alone - I know I'm sweet and hot-blooded and all, but damn.

It started raining in the middle of the night. I hoped it would clear up by late morning, when Kat & Chris were due to arrive. The forecast does say there's 30% chance of rain during the days that they're here. They're adventurous though, a little rain won't stop them from venturing out.

Frank and I met briefly after office hours to verify when and where we will meet in Rome on Sunday afternoon. Termini rail station at the track for the Leonardo Express to the airport at 4PM. That means I get on the train at 11:30 in Venice and I'm golden. He's heading down to Rome right after; he bases himself out of there. I am choosing Venice, but it's a preference thing and no big deal either way.

I went to the apartment with the last of my things and made do with myself until 10:30 am, when I walked up to the Piazzale Roma bus terminal to meet Katherine & hubby. I had anticipated on their arrival at either 11:15 or 11:40 depending on whether they had checked luggage on their flight from Dublin, Ireland. Not needing to wait for baggage claim would put them on a bus that departed 20 minutes after their flight touched down.

I was right - they were there on the earlier bus. We hugged and kissed and walking in the mini-drizzle to collect their vaporetto passes I had reserved for them in advance. We walked over the Constitution Bridge to the train station and I showed them how to use the ticket machine to purchase tickets. We got their seats for the train to Florence on Sunday, so now I can call the apartment owner there and let her know when they'll be arriving.

We had a little time to kill before meeting Franca at the apartment in Castello and apparently they were starving! They said the food isn't that great in Dublin, plus they had to get up at 3:30 to make their 6AM flight, on a no frills ariline, so I guess that equated to no breakfast and "let's start eating in Italy!!!" I'm game.

I took them to my favorite restaurant on Venice, La Zucca. Now, not to confuse you dear readers, I have two classifications of favorite restaurants. One is for the places where I have a great time, know the owners and staff and appreciate the atmosphere and conviviality. The other is for the FOOD. Stuff you to the gills with hearty fare that is a good bargain for what you're getting. La Zucca is that second category, in spades.

We got there before it opened, but had looked over the menu in the time we were outside, and took a table right out front. These kids are going to have a great time in Italy. Simple food done right. They are foodies, both have each owned a catering business, and they know good eats. La Zucca did not disappoint.

House red wine and sparkling water. We shared five plates in all and just about licked them clean. Tagliatelle with dried tomato sauce and fresh ricotta, spaghetti with a pesto made of zucchini and basil, spinach with some kind of cheese that was the creamiest without a cream sauce or butter (I have to work on perfecting that recipe), roasted leeks with pecorino, and roasted zucca (squash) with red pepper and rosemary. That last dish was like our dessert. OMG - so good. Altogether for the three of us it was under 40Euro, I believe.

I'm happy that their introduction to Italy was with a fantastic meal. Sforza!!!

During lunch I gave them the goody bag I had for them. A notebook with instructions on how to get to their lodgings in Venice, Florence and Vernazza (in the Cinque Terre), the cellphones and charger with the SIM cards installed (preprogrammed with each others' numbers and mine in case they needed to ask any questions), guidebooks with my personal recommendations and maps. They are set. Nd they are appreciative. Yay! Happy honeymoon, guys...

Fortified with full bellies and a liter of wine at lunch, we rolled ourselves back onto the vaporetto for rest of the way to their apartment. I gave them the Grand Canal narrative tour of the different palazzos and historical tidbits. We arrived at their vap stop and made our way to the apartment. I stayed there the last two trips, earlier this year. We were later than expected and Franca had gone back home. I called her and she came within ten minutes. She let us in, and to my happy surprise she had a bottle of prosecco for them and sweet note from Gloria the owner,wishing them well on their marriage and to enjoy their honeymoon. I had hoped I would be able to get in there early in the morning to do this, but Gloria and France helped me fulfill this final gift to the honeymooners. Yay!

I showed them the ins and outs of the place and left them. It looked like they were in need of a nap. We made loose arrangements to meet up after dinner on Saturday night for drinks, but I told them it's totally okay if we don't. This is their honeymoon and I'm not here to hang out with them 24/7. If they need anything they know they can call.

Got back to my place and took an hour nap. Getting up early, not enough sleep, decompressing after an exciting three days of my first meeting with Frank and clients, I was ready for some downtime. But I knew I didn't want to sleep all afternoon, so I set an alarm for 5PM, so I could get back up and meet with Marco for dinner.

We met at the Zattere, the boulevard facing his island of Giudecca and got a pizza at 7PM. I told him about the kids arriving and he said he had Saturday evening off, so if I was meeting up for drinks with them, to let him know and he'd join us. We had gelato and he was off to work for the evening.

I went home and crashed out before 10PM.



Chris is ready to get his grub on, Veneziano style!



Tagliatelle with a sauce of sun-dried tomatoes and fresh ricotta.



Spaghetti with a pesto made from not only basil, but zucchini. Mmmm!



This spinach gratinata would bring Popeye to his knees. Seriously good.



Will be working on recreating this recipe at home. Roasted shaved leeks with pecorino. Melt in your mouth goodness!

(I'm apparently having a battle with Blogger, becaus eit won't let me post the last picture from lunch. Maybe later....)

Edited to add the photo of the roasted squash. Mmmm... now I want some more.

No comments: