As we stepped out into the morning sun there was a vision we could not possibly ignore. Two scantily clad women posing on the steps of the church provocatively. Unbelievable. Cootchie-cutter painted on short shorts, complete with ass-cheeks hanging out. And lacy see through tops with more cleavage outside the shirt than in it. On the steps of a church. On a Sunday. With about fifty old ladies scowling severely. More than one of them were waving them off the steps.
"Va via." Away with you.
I looked around for tv cameras. This is a Candid Camera show or something, right?
I said my goodbyes to Mamma and walked to the boat with Marco. He was going to the train station with me to see me off after I picked up my luggage from the house. I think he would have found a reason to come on the boat with me anyway, as the "ladies" were going too.
And so we stared, like everyone else. Seriously, what possesses people? We got to witness them cooing and bending over the side of the boat while their photographer/boyfriend/sleazemeister snapped away. Lots of frowns from the patronage on the vaporetto. I managed a couple of shots through the doorway on my way off the boat. I honestly think they were some of those girls you see in the "come talk to me live phone sex" shows all over the satellite stations in this country. Must be getting some filler shots to play during their montages on-screen. I asked Marco if he recognized them as porn stars or phone girls on the tv.
"I don't know them. Let us not talk about this. Madon', it is a Sunday morning. My mother just saw that."
Ugh - you said it all right there, pal.
Got to the train station and said goodbye. I settled in for the 3.5 hour ride to Rome. Nothing very exciting on the train to speak of. Arriving in Rome at Termini station, I took a cab to the Excelsior hotel to check in and put my bag in my room. Whoo hoo - not sleeping in a closet - room upgrade worked! I texted Marco to let him know and headed out to walk to the Metro station and back to Termini to meet up with Frank.
We met the tour bus (one of those big coach buses) and went to the airport to meet the arrivals at Fiumicino. There were sixteen at the airport. Others that were coming straight to the hotel had already been noted, and the hotel concierge actually calls the tour leader to let them know when any of our clients check in. Good communication!
After we all arrived and got them checked in we gave them 90 minutes to freshen up and meet us on the back terrace of the hotel for a welcome reception. We toasted with prosecco and did a meet and greet with everyone, then we went into a private dining room in the hotel restaurant for dinner.
It was an early evening for me. I went to my room soon after dinner to study some dates and details for Monday morning. Going to the ancient sites and I wanted to make sure my memory was refreshed.
But because I know you wont rest until you see it - here's the ho parade... you may not think it's so bad here, but in person it was overly much for 10am on a Sunday in pastoral Venezia.
2 comments:
You're right they don't look so bad in your picts, would have to see the full shoot to better appreciate it.
I suspect, the reaction 'the old ladies' were giving is exactly what the photographer was going for.
Yeah I thought so too. I wish it hadn't been at their house of worship though. Tacky.
They would have garnered the same attention from the old ladies anywhere, why do you have mess with their Sunday church-going to do it?
Post a Comment