I arrived at the Scuola and found it wasn't opened yet. I knew I was going to be the only student there today so I sat on the steps across from the building and waited for my teacher to show up. She did, a few minutes late, and we commenced to learning. Being alone in classes makes things go much faster.
All in all, it was a great experience and I will be happy to return to the Scuola for more lessons eventually. I won't need to take business-related phrases any further, but for vocab and grammar I would like to go into the advanced courses when I have a week at at time open. While I have lots of conversational Italian experience, I have learned bad habits from my friends. I will have to chastise them when I see them. They have been too kind over the years in letting me get away from speaking incorrectly and never correcting my grammatical errors. I have not learned “the rules” from them because they're all being kind, even though I've repeatedly told them “correct me if I'm wrong!” I correct them when they make errors in English. Jeez... No more.
On the way back to the apartment I stopped and bought some flowers for La Signora. She was so happy to receive them. I finished packing my things, called for a cab and said goodbye. She told me she would like to have dinner when I am in town. She also said she wants to see me giving a tour, even though she wouldn't understand the English speaking. “You look smart – you look like you know many things. I can tell you love the art and love Firenze, Kristina.” Yup Yup Yup.
Hauled my bags onto the train bound for Venezia. I'm tired already. It was 90 degrees and breezy in Florence, but if it's that warm in Venice it's going to be awful. More humidity there, which I do not do well in. Looking at the weather report, things are supposed to cool down a bit by Monday when my tour begins, however, I'll be further south so it'll be warmer anyway. At least it'll be more arid.
Overhearing a conversation on the train: three college age girls. They are all apparently American taking a semester in Florence and they were taking a day trip out of town. They were discussing all their tv shows they are missing. Two of them were going mental because they are missing this season of Dexter, which is stating this weekend. “I would do ANYTHING to know how I can watch Dexter over here. I'm going to DIE if I miss the whole thing...”
At this point I leaned over the aisle and said “Okay, I'm eavesdropping and I'm going to tell you what to do. You wait until Monday or Tuesday and you go online to www.eztvstream and you watch it and you thank those little tv pirates who post it up for all of us.” The squealing commenced. I helped them with a quick sightseeing itinerary for their day and a half in town and showed them on their map how to get to their hotel, pointed out cheaper places to eat, a couple of bars.
I was very surprised to see Marco at the station when the train arrived. I handed my bags down to him, and we hugged hello. The college girls all started whispering and giggling about how much he looks like George Clooney. I told them “Go ahead, take a photo to send home to everyone. Don't worry, he LOVES having his photo made. Crowd up, I'll get you all.” Meantime, Marco was shooting daggers into me with his eyes. Ha ha.
We made our way over to the vaporetto and disembarked at the Rialto Market stop. He had the keys to the studio where I would probably be staying in for my downtime. It belongs to one of the ladies Mamma goes to church with. It's about the size of our two-car garage, but it's completely serviceable. It's a ground floor unit so there's no stairs, yay! There's a bathroom, kitchen with stove and 4 ring burner, a tv and a very comfortable pull-out. The mattress is thick and comfy, no “bar in the back” from the frame. This should work out very nicely. No rent – just pay for the utilities. Going to church with the little old lady brigade has paid off for me. Alrighty, I'll take it.
He left and I stayed to clean myself and put some things away before heading over to their house. I called home and told the husband all about the past few days. Even though it was hot outside, the positioning of the house doesn't get the heat. It's cool inside. Whew.
I made my way over to Giudecca, first stopping at the grocery store for some supplies to bring with me. I was making a simple dinner of soup and chicken for us. I was so ready to be back in a familiar kitchen that I truly have the run of. No Signora standing over my shoulder making sure I don't burn her house down.
Lots of hugs and kisses from Mamma. She made me sit and she held my hand so tight I thought she would break bones. She looks frail. Marco told me a few days before I left the US that she had spent some days in the hospital with her heart. I am here to fatten her back up.
A lovely evening with my Venetian family. My second home, this city. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment