Saturday, October 29, 2011

21 Ottobre – Since Humble Pie Isn't Available Here

The vibe at breakfast was definitely different. I don't know what kind of discussions the Bickersons had after returning to their rooms the night before but they were very much low key this morning. They sat at a few different tables instead of just among themselves. Maybe that is a key element to their dynamic. I certainly understand that people feed off each other and negativity results. It's clear these people do not dislike each other, they just have a much different way to communicating with each other.

All in all it was a pretty quiet day in the way of dust-ups. We were plenty busy. San Pietro in Vincoli, Colosseum with our group photo (Oh this will definitely be a memory for everyone to point out to their friends back home – those are the people who wouldn't quit griping at each other), Forum, Campidoglio, Pantheon, lunch and Piazza Navona in the morning & early afternoon. We had a few hours of down time before dinner and while in the salon downstairs doing my paperwork and work-related correspondence I was approached by four members of the Bickerson family.

They came to apologize to me. I told them I certainly understand a family having their own way of communicating. They said they really weren't aware of how much it affects others and they would be cognizant from here on out. I told them that nobody wants to filter or stifle anyone, just know when it's gone too far or when to take it outside and away from others. One of them said they are a bit of a toxic family. Oh, I get that. Completely. Says the woman who has in effect divorced and disassociated herself from the entire maternal side of her bloodline...   
Just please be aware of the affect you have on others. That's all I can advise. Let's carry on.

We managed to get a happy and convivial spirit at dinner in Trastevere that night. As we sat down at the restaurant, in the subterranean communal tables a few of the Bickersons stood up and addressed the group. In effect, they asked for a do-over. Let's rewind and start again. If we start up in our nonsense just holler out “Beep Beep” so we can back up and reframe.

We toasted to a new beginning. I really hope it lasts.

No comments: