Tuesday, October 4, 2011

2 Ottobre - Sunday Chores (That Are No Chore At All)

I woke up to the telefonino (cellphone) ringing. The ringtone tells me it's Mamma without even looking at it. A version of “Ave Maria” for the house landline. It was 0630 and she wanted to know if I was going to come to the 7AM mass with her. I told her I was just waking up and if she wanted to go to the 8AM at Redentore I could make that. Oy. Heaven forbid she doesn't get to the first Mass of the day. “No problema, cara. Alle otto.” No problem, dear, at 8. Whew.

I gathered myself up and made a coffee, checked email to see if my tour file was emailed and it was. Profile of all the names, arrival flights and room reservation combinations for the couples, triples,singles, etc. for everyone involved. There was also a message from Frank, my mentor. He's three days ahead on his tour, so while we won't see each other, he was alerting me to the fact that the water pressure at the hotel in Sorrento was a little lax. They are working on it, but to be able to tell the group to be aware of it. Whew. Advance intel. It's like we're secret agents. Ha!

Made it to Giudecca and escorted Mamma. Marco had gone to work and would be back around 1PM. He was working a split shift on Sunday of 7AM to 12,30 and then back from 4 to 9PM. We slipped in to her regular pew and nodded at the other other ladies arriving. They smiled at me and waved. My new landlord of sorts, Signora Ferri came over to sit with us and asked how I like the studio apartment. I told her it was perfect for my needs. It is her son's apartment and his family had moved to a larger place when their baby came last year. Wow, I can't imagine two people living there without stepping all over each other, but they apparently had made it work since they were married four years ago. I asked her to let me know how much to give her for the utilities and she waved her handat me to hush. “Niente. Ti dici a dopo. A tempo.” I will tell you later. In time.

After services Mamma and I and two neighbor ladies from the building across from her walked back. It's less than five minutes, and we managed to stretch that into fifteen, since we go at a snail's pace with these old bones. And they are talking and gesticulating the whole way. Could be talking about the clouds in the sky and each one has to stop completely to make their point known. So it's take a step, talk, take a step, another talks, stop, talk a bit, take a step. It's not like I have anything to do, but I haven't switched off the “in a rush mode” from Florence yet.

I made Mamma and myself each a small fruit salad with yogurt and coffee Marco has given me her new schedule for medications and I needed to see her eat before reminding her to take her morning pills. As is the old school Italian way, she won't eat anything before going to church, so the pills have to wait. He says then she comes home and fusses about with her household tasks and soon she's off her schedule. He says he ends up calling her at noon to see about her schedule and finds she hasn't taken the morning ones yet. It's no that she's forgetful, she's just not wanting to take them. Oy.

She doesn't fight me though, when I ask her about the medication. I tell her we bother her because we want her to be here a lot longer. Take the pills and get used to being on a schedule, then there is no problem. “Okay cara.”

We spent the rest of the morning watching the Vatican services on a loop on the tv, as is custom on Sundays. I made us lunch and Marco came back to join us. I told him I needed to go do some laundry and I would be back in a few hours. Mamma told me to come back and do it at their house, but I don't want to be hanging my underwear to dry at their house. That's a little too much information for everyone to have, and while we're close, I'm not parading my unmentionables at their place. I told her I needed to go to where the dryers are to make sure it was finished before packing for the next ten days.

Laundry done. Undies protected from view and everything I need re-packed for the tour. Came back, fixed a quick dinner for us, left a portion available for Mister Man when he came back from the second part of his shift. He arrived after we finished and ate. Mamma and I watched a movie, a silly comedy. I bid her goodnight and told her I will call her every morning to make sure she's taken her pills and to tell her hello, and that I will see her in ten days. Si, cara!

Marco walked me to the vaporetto stop and asked me if I was going to the hotel to see Giorgio and Aldo. They had asked him if I was stopping in. Indeed I was – I needed to print off the information for the touring group. Cheek kisses goodnight, see you later.

Arriving at the hotel, or The Consulate as it is known in my house, I was greeted by the Administrative manager Andreas. I asked to use the computer in the business office. He let me use his own office and told me not to worry about it. Usually I use the one the rest of the guests use, but now I am even more special. He told me to tell anyone from now on that I have his permission if he isn't there. Whoo hoo – privileges! I printed my info out and headed back to the bar to see my friends who were working.

Giorgio and Aldo greeted me with the customary hugs and kisses and poured me a glass of wine. We chatted and caught up with what they haven't deduced already from Facebook. Aldo's grandson is coming up on his first birthday and he presented me with about half a million pictures on his iPhone. What a doll that little guy is. I bid them good night so I could get a full night of sleep. I need to be fresh and perky. From tomorrow on, it's showtime!

No comments: