Sunday, October 9, 2011

5 ottobre – Dogs and Hounds

After breakfast with our baggage loaded onto the coach bus we headed to Pompeii. I've written previously about how Pompeii bums me out so it should be no surprise that I don't go into too much detail. Lovely to see how people lived, but it's also readily apparent how people died. I prefer Ostia Antica so much more.

So once again, I focus on the dogs. I could almost believe it if you told me they trucked them in from Rome or Naples. There are different ones every time I am here – yes, some look like they've been here for years, but there are lots of new guys that don't look like they were birthed on-site. No two look enough alike to be littermates. How do they find their way here? It's a mystery that must be solved.





After our guide released us three hours later, we made our way back to Ettore on the bus and went twenty minutes away to Herculaneum for lunch. Modern day Herc-town doesn't offer a whole lot other than more ruins on in National Park / UNESCO site, but the trattoria where we eat puts out a lovely spread of good food.

We hit the road going northbound to Rome and within 30 minutes just about everyone was napping. It was rather quiet. I texted my friend (and driver for my private tours) Giuseppe Giacobazzi to let him know I was landing in the area. He had promised (or threatened if you want to look at it that way) to take me out the next time was in town, as he had before. He responded that he would call me after 6pm when he was through with his clients that day but yes, we would go out later. I read from my Kindle and about 20 minutes outside of Rome's city limits I let them know the itinerary for the remainder of the day. Check in at the Excelsior and a completely voluntary orienteering trip around our section of town and a few sites nearby. If they wanted to stay back at the hotel they were most welcome to. It's “free” time for the rest of the day, but they were all welcome to join me for an hour's jaunt. Dinner was arranged for them in the hotel's restaurant with a special menu for them to select from, but if they chose to go out on their own they were more than welcome to do that as well. Chatter started up as travel partners talked amongst themselves and to new friends about their plans for the remainder of the day.

Checking in at the Excelsior was interesting. The rooms were mixed up a bit. Two couples were put into rooms with twin beds, two rooms that should have had twins were “matrimonial” beds and one couple was left off the roster altogether. The first set of mix-ups was easily remedied by switching room assignments; the couple that was forgotten really reaped the benefit of the hotel's mistake. They were given one of the rooms they have available for our three night's here – a suite. It's huge. At least double the size of my apartment back home. A palace in comparison to what they would have had. Oh my, they can leave me off the list next time. Whoo!

I gave them (those who wanted to join me) an hour to unpack, futz around and meet me in the lobby. I had 14 of my 24 with me when we set out. I showed them the American Embassy across the street with American soldiers posted prominently outside the gates, and those with guns inside the gates. We turned opposite and walked north up the Via Veneto to the end of the road, at the massive gateway into Villa Borghese – a park, a zoo, a museum. Told them all that would be a great way to spend a coup,eof hours tomorrow during free time in the morning and afternoon. If anyone wanted me to assist in reservations let me know at breakfast. Made our way down Via Porta Pinciata where I showed them the Metro station that is closest to the hotel, less then five minutes' walk, and on the other side of the sotoporteggo into the station is the Spanish Steps, and promised they would see it later if they stuck with me. Via Ludoviso to Via Cadore, down the path and stairs back onto Via Veneto, across the Piazza Barberini and around the corner to TA-DA!!!! The Trevi Fountain. Always a crowd pleaser and unless it's 7AM when I like to go, always crowded. After the oohing and aahing we continued down to Via Due Macelli and turned right. Up a couple of blocks are the Spanish Steps, another meeting place for the masses better seen in the morning. But I'm letting them get their bearings for the neighborhood on this little walk. I pointed out Via Condotti and Via Delle Carrozze where all the high rent shopping can be found. Then up the Spanish Steps to Via Sistina and back to the hotel. In just over an hour.

I rested up for a bit, made an appearance in the restaurant to say hello to those who were dining and got a text that Giuseppe & Gianluca were outside waiting for me. The Fabulous Giacobazzi Brothers Show was the order of the evening for me.

They are a hoot, these two. Always in motion, always laughing, always gesticulating. We went to the birraria we had gone to the last time we went out. Yay sausage! Yay beer! We went to a bar for a cocktail or two (I stuck to beer.) I got a gelato cone next door. We went to another bar for another drink. Gianluca was designated driver. They talked to every woman in sight, got a few numbers, foreign and domestic. They seriously need their own show. Doing whatever – reviewing movies, cooking, advice for the lovelorn - I don't care. I could watch them all day.



They promised to have me back to the hotel by 1AM and I was there, true to their word. And sleep came easily.

No comments: