Saturday, November 19, 2011

13 Novembre – Not Much of A Day of Rest

Daily routine of obtaining fresh pastries and setting out breakfast. Caught the boat and crossed over from Guidecca. Arrived at the hotel just after 7AM. Marco was still behind the desk, making a little bit of a sour face at me. Oh, get over it, tough guy. Get your knickers out of their twist. I made my way to the breakfast room and said hello to those who were present.

I went back up to the concierge desk to make certain the boats were all ordered for everyone's trips to the airport. I didn't doubt that Marco had done it, but it's part of the check out process ending the tour and discharging the clients. He asked how Mamma was. I told him she wasn't up when I left. I told him that I had left breakfast out for her, and the decaf coffee is ready to be made when he got there, but I could probably be finished with the clients and just come back with him to go to church after he was off work. My people were all leaving for the airport within the next 30 minutes. Okay, that will be nice, he said. He reported that she had gone very slow and deliberate on the stairs when they went out yesterday to church.

The formerly (?) smitten woman came up to the desk then and said goodbye to him. Oh man, here it comes, I was thinking. She thanked him for being so helpful and nice to her and thanked me as well. “You two are very good friends, aren't you?” He smiled at her and told her we are best friends, like family. Awwww. But I know I'm still going to hear it later from him.

Twenty minutes later everyone was out of there and I was free to head out. While he changed into his street clothes I used Andreas' office and printed out dossier information for my private group who would be arriving tomorrow and staying here. Only four people. From the Bay Area. Oh, how I need this. People from my end of the world.

We made our way to San Zaccaria via Piazza San Marco and caught the boat to Giudecca. He put his arm around my shoulder, leaned in and told me I was a terrible woman for telling that guest that lie about him. He was smiling when he did it, so I had to laugh at him. “I would rather you call me a brat. Would you have taken her up on her offer if she made a pass at you? Be honest.” He said his days of running around the hallways at nights are long over. “I am an old man now.” Riiiight. I told him he just didn't want to get caught on camera. “No. People are a lot of crazy. They say anything and put it on the internet.” Wow – somebody not only has a conscience but is mildly self-aware. I'm so proud. But he was still a little mad at me for that trick. “You apologize to me for the other day and I will apologize to you. But never EVER mess around with one of my clients. Inside or outside the hotel. Promise?” Okay. Agreed. Done. Over it. Settled. We did talk a little more about the root of our disagreement a few days before. It really is settled now. Too much stress and confined quarters aided in us getting on each others' nerves.

We arrived back at the house to Mamma dressed and ready for church. She didn't want the decaf. She doesn't like it at all so she made herself some herbal tea instead. Ok, no more decaf. I never can see the point in drinking it either. She slowly descended the stairs and we slowly got to the church. I remembered that it is my Grandma Norma's birthday today. She would have been 91. Wow. Once the Mass was over, we waited while she visited with all her friends and caught up. Since they hadn't spoken in less than a day I can't imagine that too much had happened, but this is their thing. We slowly made our way back from church and she very carefully got herself up the stairs. She wasn't winded or straining in any way. Good job!

I stuck around for an hour and a half and said my goodbye. They had the last of the leftovers awaiting them for lunch. I had to meet Carolina so we could finishing touring and hit the Biennale installations at Giardini. Her train leaves at 7 so I would come back and make us all some dinner after seeing her off. Marco said to come on over, but he would be in charge of dinner tonight. Mamma piped up with “Pizza!”

Best moment of my day, right there.

He walked me downstairs and gave me a hug and a kiss on the top of my head. “Thank you Kricka. You are very important to us. Have a good day with your friend.”

I crossed over to San Marco and met up with Carolina at the appointed place and time. We walked down to Arsenale. The Biennale is in international contemporary art exhibition that takes place in odd-numbered years, from June to November. Thirty countries have their own pavilions in the Giardini, and others are housed together in sections of warehousing at Arsenale. Still others are located in palazzi and galleries around town. We were hitting the majority of the countries' exhibits by going to Giardini and Arsenale today. It was going to be a lot of contemporary art to be viewed in one day. I readied myself.

I can be rather indifferent to modern and contemporary art. I don't like things done simply for shock value. I don't generally like performace art either. I hope there wasn't a lot of either.

However in this climate of war, revolutions and the bad economy I knew to expect otherwise. I was overwhelmed by the amount of things related to these themes. I am still processing some of it, days later when writing this; the installation from Sweden especially. It was disturbing and painful. I will post pictures (not of Sweden's though – did not take photos of that one) at a later time when I'm caught up more and can give words to things. We had a tranquil day, discussing all sorts of topics and things in a language not native to either of us. I'm pretty proud of us for being able to spent a weekend together and communicate like that. Bonded!

But whoa, was I worn out by the time we were done! We made our way back on the boat to collect her bag at the house. She got on the boat on her her own to get to the station. She hugged me goodbye and thanked me for showing her “my” beautiful city. I am welcome in Santiago Chile anytime to come and stay with her family. Hub-unit too. Very sweet to offer.

I went back to Giudecca. Called along the way to see if I needed to pick anything up. Marco said no, it would be ready and waiting when I arrived. I was quite surprised – no pizza! He had gone to the supermarket and at the hot foods counter had picked up rotisserie chicken, roasted potatoes and put together a green salad. All by himself. Somebody is trying hard to make up for being a butthead. So he didn't cook it himself, it was the effort that is appreciated. I cleaned up afterward and the three of us had a nice evening in front of the television. I left just after 11PM to take the boat back. My group doesn't arrive until 2PM at the airport, but I needed to do laundry in the morning, shopping and make some meals for the next few days for Mamma before taking off to pick up my peeps.

No comments: