Whoo. Exciting morning at the E&R.
When I got to the hospital I couldn't see Mamma right away because the doctors were in her room. Went to the cafeteria for something to eat. Was able to connect online and chatted with my friend Luke who was in transit from SF to London to Berlin on a short jaunt, secret mission style. The only other person in the canteen was an older Austrian gentleman who kept talking to me. Yes yes, that's nice. I have to go now.
Finally got to get into Mamma's room to see her. She is definitely ready to get out of there. She introduced me to the nurse in her room as “mia figlia Americana.” The nurse told me she had heard a lot about me. Alrighty then. The nurse told me it would only be a few more days, probably Monday that she could go home. Mamma was getting the dressing changed on her leg and arm. I watched carefully and asked questions as she did it, since I'm sure I'll be helping clean and dress her until she can manage on her own. The nurse, Stefania, was very clear in her instructions, and also told me how she was going to need to get on her feet and walk short distances at least three times a day. They would send her home with a cane and a wheelchair. Walk with the cane at home and as much as possible. I told her we would have her up and about as much as possible. I don't see her laying about much. It's not in her nature.
Marco came in, straight from work. He just wanted to bring her something to eat before going home to sleep for the afternoon. The nurse told him “I see nothing” and left. I imagine they get this a lot – people not wanting to eat the hospital food. She isn't restricted to the clear foods so I guess it's ok to bring in a sandwich. Tramezzini sandwich with crabmeat. Well at least it's something not packed in sodium like coldcuts. We were there for about an hour and I could see he was flagging, getting a little heavy lidded. Two of her church-lady friends came in to visit so we said we would go and leave her to her friends. I told her I would call her later in the evening. Kiss kiss goodbye.
The moment we were out the door he started to unload with the goings on from that morning. Two different issues with guests that he got caught up in. I take for granted that not everyone is a “good traveler.” First issue – there is a family staying that are observant / kosher / orthodox Jews. During Shabbos. Forgive me if I don't get this absolutely correct, but this is something that hasn't ever dawned on me since I am not “of the tribe” but apparently traveling while being observant can raise specific issues. It takes the assistance of others to ensure the observant Jew doesn't break religious rules/laws.
Being able to eat kosher in Venice is not a problem. There is a community here (and the first ghetto) so there are kosher restaurants and kosher hotels. Gam-Gam, a kosher restaurant, will bring meals over to the hotel and the hotel's restaurant staff sets up the meal in the guests' room for them. Not such a big deal, I'm sure there are people who stay in luxury hotels who have their own food brought in quite regularly. However... because of Shabbos, the electronic card system for their room doors is a problem. They cannot not use the card on Shabbos, since it sets off a light. Sometimes in the past, guests have just left their door unlocked, by blocking the locking mechanism with a piece of cardboard, and then got upset that in the name of security a hotel employee removed the lock block.
There's also the question of asking a non-Jew to open the door for them with the electronic key, once it's cleared to do so by their rabbi. There are times when a rabbi must have determined that they could not ask the non-Jew directly, so they had to hint indirectly that they could not get into their room.
This was the root of the problem with this family. Repeatedly the staff was “hinted at” that there was something wrong with the door and could someone check it for them? Enough times caused a bit of a slow reaction, if you get what I mean. Boy who cried wolf – like. Also, there were no thank yous whatsoever for all the times staff were called to the room.
I do not want to sound culturally or religiously insensitive, but what in the heck were these people expecting? Maybe there wasn't room at the kosher hotel, but in any case, these people were staying here. So apparently the guy had come unglued at some point. Hey buddy? Stay in your damn room if you can't get back into it on your own. It's Shabbos – aren't you supposed to be lighting candles and relaxing or studying or something? Not traipsing about the hotel with your six kids? While this wasn't Marco's fault, per se, he and his boss still had to hear the guest complaints of insensitivity to his family.
But what I find unforgivable is the apparent lack of gratitude. And the sense of entitlement. You're the odd man out and causing people to go out of their way for you at every turn. Say thank you and be gracious they were there to help you. And next time, stay in a kosher hotel AND get the okay from the rabbi to ASK someone to open your door, instead of having to hint around and make them guess what your deal is. Guh.
Issue number 2 – the British woman having a fit. This one directly laid blame square on Marco for “ruining” everything for her. Oh dear. Sounds serious, right?
She wanted to go to Padova and see the Scrovegni Chapel. He called and got her a reservation, then proceeded to tell her how to go about it on her own. Go to the train station. Buy a ticket on a regional train to Padova. Once there have a taxi take you to the chapel. Etc etc etc. Detailed instructions. Times for the trains that would get her there in plenty of time. Just what a concierge does all day long.
She arrived at the train station and the lines were too long. She couldn't wait in line to buy a ticket from the agent. She turned around, took a water taxi back to the hotel and insisted that HE ruined her WHOLE day. She missed the trains. She missed the reservation. She HAD to take a taxi back because she was so upset. And she wanted recompense for ALL of this. And more. Because she was SO inconvenienced.
No. Fricking. Way. Unbelievable behavior.
So she complained. To him. About him. To his boss. To the hotel manager. And they reimbursed her.
You have got to be kidding me. I have made the complaint here and there about not having a good customer service experience, but this woman is ridiculous. He's not actually in trouble with his bosses, they just want to shut her up and keep the air clear in these times of electronic bad-mouthing. One complaint online gets pretty widespread. Who knows how much more she would exaggerate the problem or just outright lie about the situation online? The bosses open the coffers and shut her up.
As he told me this I just sat there with my mouth hanging wide open. You could catch flies. Holy shit. People are just unbelievable. I cannot believe they gave in to that woman's histrionics.
I'm still shaking my head.
He went home and I went back to check on the studio apartment. I hadn't heard from Signora Ferri or the B&B owner. Looking inside I could see they had at least been inside today. I figured someone would call me when they had something of note to tell me.
Stopped into the bar with the idea of just having a coffee and talking for a few minutes with Serena and Roberta, who were working until five. Chit chat for a few minutes and this woman comes in and sits one seat away, talking loudly on her cellphone. She was relaying “that” story to someone. It was that woman. She finished her call, ordered a glass of wine and proceeded to make another call. Told the whole story to someone else. I got to hear the whole story from her side. I was so angry, sitting there listening to her. Serena kept glancing at me from behind the bar. She could see I was seething.
The woman hung up the phone. “Goodness. I deserve this glass of wine after the day I've had. Are YOU enjoying your stay here? I'm sure you couldn't help but hear my call. This place... I can't believe how I'm being treated as a guest.”
I just stared at her. I'm proud of myself for not having my mouth gaping at her, but I was clenching my teeth.
“Honestly. What do you think of this problem I have? I should write and tell people about this terrible experience I'm having.” Oh you poor poor dear. “No really. I'm interested in your opinion as a fellow guest.”
“I think you are incredibly rude. And deluded in your thinking you are being mistreated.”
“Pardon? I beg your pardon?” Bristling and posturing commenced.
“I think you're wrong. In every part of your thinking.”
Serena and Roberta retreated behind the colonnade of the back bar where they couldn't be seen. I knew they were hiding out. In the mirror I could see Serena gesticulating to Roberta to stay back there.
“Do you want to hear what I heard from your story?”
“Oh yes. Go on. An American is going to lecture me on poor behaviour.” I could have slapped her for that alone. Let me show you some poor behavior, lady.
“You are from England. London I will presume. So you are familiar with a train.”
She nodded. Oh she was really getting irritated with me.
“You ask for my opinion? Here it is. Why is it the staff's fault that you can't buy a ticket for yourself? Why is it the staff's fault that you are incapable of operating a machine? So there were people in line for the station agent. So what? There are machines available that are touch screen, in English, where you can use a credit card or cash, to purchase a ticket. You don't even need an agent. You can also get on board and purchase the ticket from the conductor.”
(This is something I know he told her to do, but she failed to mention this when bemoaning her situation in both phone calls. I wasn't about to let her know that I already knew the whole story from the other perspective.)
“Frankly, your lack of planning doesn't constitute it being the fault on the hotel's part. The fact that you feel entitled to something from them is what is really poor form. You are a terrible traveler. Go ahead and complain online. I would be happy to search out your commentary online and refute everything you have to say as being your ineptitude to adapt. Instead you have made a scene and embarrassed only yourself as being terribly rude when the concierge was taking care of your requests. You caused yourself a headache and the very idea that it was so fouled up for you that you had to take a taxi back and expected the hotel to pay for your own histrionics. My opinion is that you should just stay home and not bother to travel. No one has held a gun to your head to make you do anything. You have made a lot of poor decisions and choosing to blame everyone else for your lack of ability is insulting to other travelers. And that is my opinion.”
She couldn't get away from me fast enough. She walked to a table on the other side of the bar. I finished my coffee and sat staring at her until she paid and left. But she didn't say a word to me. Yeah. Stun them into silence. I win just for that. Thank goodness none of my clients were in the bar, although I'm not ashamed of what I said. I felt all my points were valid, one traveler to another. I didn't threaten. I didn't use foul language. I was direct.
After she left Serena and Robi declared we were going out. Girls Night! We agreed to meet at 8PM outside in the courtyard. Luana came with us too. We tore it up. Bar hopping and karaoke, dancing and jazz. We hit a lot of spots.
I came back in at 1:30AM and had to have Marco let me in the building. After 1AM they lock the doors so you have to ring the bell for entry. He laughed at me being more than tipsy. “It is a good thing you have no emergencies with your tour, Kricka. You are not in the form to make for emergencies at this moment.” Yeah, for once I am not. Yay for me. It's been a rough week.
I told him, “So yeah, I will need a wake up call for sure this time.” He laughed at me. “Ok, ok Kricka. No problem.” I had already decided earlier not to tell him about my run in with Ms London. Best he doesn't know when I am out there defending his honor.
“When did you eat? The porters and I are going to eat now. Join us.” Mmmmm, okay. I sat in the office with them and had a portion of chicken breast, potatoes and fruit salad. It's not Moons Over My Hammy from Dennys after a night of carousing, but it was pretty good nonetheless.
And I was off to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment