Sunday, November 20, 2011

16 Novembre – I Used to Have Kidneys

As agreed, there wasn't any need for me to go to Giudecca this morning since Marco was home. They had a 9AM appointment at the hospital and then he would be going to work at 2PM. I would be back from Padova & Verona around 6PM so I would have dinner and spend the evening with her until he returned at 11PM.

We took a taxi boat at 8AM from the hotel to Piazzale Roma to meet with our driver Alex Pironi. He had a snazzy luxury SUV for us to climb into. A few minutes in I was really wishing we were on a train, or a bus, or a pack mule. This guy's driving style immediately got on my nerves. One of those types who rides the tail of the car on front of him, makes herky jerky lane changes and stomps on the brakes a little too hard. Also managed to hit every lane divider bump on the road. My kidneys were feeling rather pummeled. There was traffic, as is the norm in the mornings in most places in the world. There was also a lot of fog, as is normal in November and December on the pianura. The clients' faces told me all I needed. They didn't like it either. I was turned around in my seat to talk with them and pre-orient them about what we were seeing today. My normal talky talk stuff and I was getting absolutely nauseated with his stop, speed, jerk left jerk right motions. It was awful.

I have never met this guy before, but I would be certain to not ever see him again if I can help it. Once we hit Padova I asked to get off the Autostrada and find a farmacia. I needed the ginger gum like I use in Sorrento for the Amalfi bus ride. It was that bad.

When I returned to the car I took Alex aside and had a few words with him. “Please, we are not in a race. Drive... smoother.” He looked at me like I had thumbs growing out of my forehead.

Verona: San Zeno, San Fermo, Palazzo de Comuni, Piazza Erbe, Palazzo Dante. Lunch.

Padova: Palazzo delle Ragione, Basilica Santa Giustina, Scrovegni chapel, Basilica di Sant'Antonio and Oratorio di San Gregorio. A lovely time was had by all, except when we were in the car.

Worst hired driver in the world.

Back in Venice with my peeps safely ensconced at the hotel (they would be venturing out on their own for dinner with some recommendations I had given them) I checked in with my friend at the concierge desk. Mamma's appointment went very well. Yay!

Took the boat to Giudecca and had dinner with her. We had the last of the Contessa's food, second day in a row for her dinner. Mamma was not complaining. Me either. Especially the tiramisu. I left when Marco got back from work. It is exceptionally foggy tonight in the city, At least it's not too cold. That will change though. Weather prediction is that it's going to start dipping down to the freezing point this week. Yay. Winter is upon us.

No comments: