We had a private taxi booked for most of the day to take us to Murano, Burano and Torcello out in the lagoon. One of the couples is very keen on picking up some nice glass pieces to bring home, so Murano would be our last stop. Torcello first, then Burano. Lunch at Gatto Nero, home of the most amazing seafood risotto ever. On Murano after seeing the churches and sites I took them to see a number of galleries and artisans. One couple fell in love with a framed mosaic piece and the other bought a boatload of glass sculpture pieces. They arranged with the gallery for shipping. They don't need to worry about it not arriving in perfect condition, these people are top-notch in packing and sending glass safely. It would arrive home just days after they do.
I left them at the hotel. They had reservations at Da Fiore which is close to the hotel. I had a map marked up for them. Ta ta until tomorrow, folks.
Made it to Giudecca and escorted Mamma to evening services at church. We dinner and watched tv until Marco got home so I could take my leave.
As I was walking home, right at the top of the Rialto bridge, as I looked down on the landing in front of me I saw someone waving at me and calling “Kristina Kristina!” It was Samuele. The cherry stem guy from the other night.
“I am so pleased to see you again. Would you like to go for a drink with me?” No thank you. I'm tired.
“I want to apologize for upsetting you when I met you.” Okay, apology accepted. I have to go now.
“Just sit with me and have one drink. We will toast to being new friends.” No. Thank you.
“I will get a bottle of wine and we can sit on the molo (dock) and talk.” I'm cold. No, Samuele.
But at this point I had stopped in my tracks and wasn't walking any longer. I don't want this guy to know where I live, and it's just a short 2 minute walk from where we were standing. It's close to midnight. It's not like I can run into a store and go shopping to get away from him. He wasn't taking the hint that it's just not going to happen with us. Ugh. Sometimes you just need a to smack people in the head with a two-by-four to get your point across, I suppose.
“Samuele. I am going to leave you now. Please leave me be. It was interesting to meet you, but I have to go. Alone. By myself. Do not come with me.”
“You don't have to be angry with me Kristina. I only want to properly make your acquaintance. I have seen you pass by every night since I met you but now I am able to talk with you.” I said goodnight again and started walking, phone in my hand and poised to dial “113” for the polizia. I couldn't hear him behind me but I didn't trust that. This is normally a really safe place for a woman to walk at night. I just have a new and special friend who is wreaking havoc with that statement at the moment.
I turned and looked behind me. He was back there, walking.
“You change your mind?” No. Thank you. Cripes.
I made it to the Chinese restaurant around the corner from my apartment and went inside. Thank goodness the door was still open. They are open until midnight and they have seen me eating there quite a few times so they recognized me. The staff were all at one table eating, and there were no more diners in there. “Signora, it will have to be 'to go' for you. What would you like?”
I told them that I actually didn't want to order anything. There was a man out there who is a problem and I don't want him following me to my door. He's in a green jacket and striped scarf. Curly hair. Please see if he's there and if he is, may I just wait inside a few minutes?
“Of course!” All the staff went outside and stood looking for him. That must have been a sight. Suddenly six Chinese people come out and stand at the doorway at midnight, peering into the darkness. They came back in. The owner told me “He has walked away. I will go with you. Let us go now.”
Sweet. He took me out the back door and I popped across the alley into my apartment.
I feel a little silly about it. But really. This guy is a little too aggressive and a bit of a loose cannon as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to start packing that retractable scalpel in my bag.
No comments:
Post a Comment