After breakfast I received a call from Frank. He wanted to talk about the schedule and propose yet another change, so I could stay in Venice a couple more days. I was supposed to be taking his private tour for Rome and Florence, starting on Friday. He suggested I take the group tour when they hit Venice on Friday instead, and then I could take the private group on Monday which is a Venice & Veneto tour of five days. It gives me another week based in Venice, so I can be around and help out with Mamma's recovery.
That guy is amazing. What a sweetheart. It's also incredibly generous of him, but advantageous to him as well. He's based out of Rome, so he doesn't mind in the least taking back his tour there. I asked him if he thought there would be a problem for the group itself – they have been with him for what, 11 days and suddenly they are getting handed off to someone else for the few. “Nope. Good crowd. And they were your group originally anyway.” Okay, but all the tips will be coming to Frank, I promised him. “Do what you want, kiddo. Get her better.” So it had been decided. On Friday, he would put them on the train in Florence and I would pick them up in Venice. He would make his way to Rome to meet his private group, and I would have my private group start on Monday.
Came back into the living room after my call and gave them the news that I was going to be around in town all next week. Mamma's face told me that it was best thing to be happening; she looked so happy. Marco was starting back at work on Friday night for his regular two-night graveyard stint, his weekend, and then three days on dayshift. His normal schedule after more than a month of nights. Finally.
I got out my calendar agenda and we went over our schedules for the next week to note times without “coverage” for her. I wasn't 100% positive about mine because I needed the itinerary for the private group, and opened my mail to send off a message to Frank to send it ASAP. Lo and behold, he already sent it to me, as soon as we were off the phone it seems. Excellent. I would be able to stay with her on Friday and Saturday night while he was at the hotel. No problem there. Sunday and Monday he would be around all day. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday she would be alone for a few hours in the mornings, but she's getting stronger every day, and she promises not to go running out to church when we aren't around. Whew. She also has her little friends to come and visit in the mornings while we were gone.
The remainder of the afternoon was relaxing for me. The schedule change really relieved a lot of anxiety and I felt a load had been taken off my conscience and my mind. I prepared dinner for them to eat later and begged off staying and eating with them. I felt the need to go to one of my regular places to eat. They all must think I have abandoned them. I've hardly been around. I had dinner at Francesco's in San Silvestro, home of my favorite lasagne on earth. “Kristina Kristina, where have you been?” Taking care of a sick friend.
“Now, we take care of you.”
Oh yes. Please do.
No comments:
Post a Comment